4.16.2009

the thursday thirty, issue nine.

30 quirks/facts about me:

  • i hate styrofoam. hate it, hate it, hate it. the noise it makes when it rubs against another piece of styrofoam is horrifyingggg. when mom drags out the nativity figurines at christmas... let's just say i have to leave the house.
  • school supplies, how i love thee. pens, notebooks, folders, and mechanical pencils are my vices. heck, i'd go to school the rest of my life if it meant getting to purchase new goodies each semester. look under my bed and you'll find a small, rubbermaid crate full of knick knacks just waiting to be used - but they'll probably end up getting donated before i ever get around to using them all. :]
  • my three nieces - and the fourth one that's on the way! - mean absolutely everything to me. kaitlyn, sydni, zoey, and the-soon-to-be ari jade give me such hope for the days and years to come.
  • i take pride [gasp! the p-word!] in my knack for frugality. i love to clip coupons, i adore bargain hunting, and generic brands are my dearest friends at the grocery store. that's right, i dream big.
  • part of my heart is left in istanbul. hopefully i'll return there one day to retrieve it - or give more of it away. =)
  • when i was little, i carried around a 99 cent pocket dictionary with me everrryyyywhere. ask my mama why, 'cause i still haven't a clue!
  • speaking of childhood antics, my parents taught me to answer "how old are you?" with my complete date of birth, rather than just holding up a few fingers. so i ran together "februaryseventhnineteeneightynine" very quickly for my replies. dad still swears this is the only reason he remembers my birthdate. :)
  • i take notes of every sermon, chapel service, or speaking engagement i go to. my sermon book is filled with hints of wisdom and truth that i never want to forget. as kandi newton taught me, a dull pencil will one day be better than a sharp mind.- i had never set foot in a taco bell until i came to college. who knew?!
  • my nieces, and even my siblings at times, call me peanut. the story of how this nickname originated is heavily disputed [i just don't remember it happening!], but it does a bit like this: after making a trip to purchase some world famous honey roasted peanuts from the goober house in carnegie, oklahoma, i [allegedly] began telling a very detailed story about something extremely important. as i regaled my sister, brother-in-law, and mama with my tale, a peanut husk [supposedly] was covering my two front teeth the entire time. combined with my thick accent at the time, i was a sure-fire candidate for the next beverly hillbillies production.
  • the first time i ever "fouled out" of a basketball game, i cried. how embarassing.
  • my brother was in the movie 'twister.' sure, it's more of just his shadow moving across the screen during the scene that the tornado hits wakita, but it's still probably the closest hollywood claim-to-fame i'll ever have!
  • i really can't say this enough, but i am so so proud of my older siblings. my sister, while she lived in seattle, was consistently rated as one of the top ten radiologist mammographers in the nation. my brother guards the governor as an oklahoma highway patrol trooper. and they're also two of the best parents i've ever had the privilege to learn from.
  • as if you wouldn't know from any of my earlier posts, i absolutely adore the fact that i grew up in a small town. if i could, i would raise my future kiddos in a country atmosphere.- i probably should give up sweet tea for lent next year. it has an absolute hold over me.
  • this might be odd, but my brother and i both eat our cereal in those big plastic drinking cups from eskimo joe's. does anyone else do that?
  • one of my favorite pastimes when i go home is to retrieve my old journals and flip through them. i often get a good chuckle out of it. :D
  • like most little girls, i aspired to be an olympic gymnast. shannon miller, an oklahoma girl herself, was my idol. i sincerely wanted to wear a leotard of red, white, and blue, and strut my stuff on the balance beam or floor routine. those goals clearly have not come to pass, but every four years i make a point of tuning into every round of gymnastics of the olympic games. and it still makes me want to do cartwheels in the living room. :)
  • my hippie name is tigerlily. mmhmm.
  • my parents met at college, where my father was on the football team and my mom was a cheerleader. so classic. :)
  • among many deeper attributes i desire my future husband to have, i've determined he will also need a healthy appreciation for red dirt music, an ability to mow the yard in diagonal lines, and should jovially accept requests from my nieces to sit down for tea parties. a girl can dream, right?
  • i have to great dreams for my career - to teach english to immigrants at community centers and such, and to work for a missionary sending agency and facilitate others' going.
  • hearing people crack their knuckles or any other joint makes me absolutely sick inside. i just can't handle it! every once in awhile, i'll get crazy and pop my own ankles - but knuckles and my neck or back are off-limits.
  • the first time i met my favorite meteorologist [yes, in oklahoma we pick our faves] at the age of 2 or so, i sneezed all over his suit. what an impression i make. :-/ luckily, i redeemed myself about 13 years later - when i was a foot taller than him. oh, dainty gary england.
  • making my bed each morning is such ritual for me. having my bed tidy sets such a tone for the rest of my day!
  • i have always wanted to assemble a time capsule. always. any pointers?
  • when i was 6 or 7, i shut both of my thumbs in the car door - on separate occasions, of course, but still within a few weeks of one another. for a young girl who prided herself on having awesome nails, watching both thumbnails fall off was somewhat of a traumatic experience.
  • before coming to college, i had never set foot inside of a taco bell, nor had i ever eaten captain crunch cereal. obu has done so much for my physique. =)
  • reading has always been one of my dearest pastimes. now that i'm in college, reading for pleasure only finds its way into my schedule during breaks. still, i treasure a good book and am so thankful i learned the value of words at such a young age.
  • i love peanuts in a bottle of coca-cola. doesn't that sound gross in theory? don't worry, it's pretty awesome if you drink the coke before the saltiness makes it flat. i'm fairly certain this family recipe originates from the days of my parents owning and running two mobile service stations in town, when vending machine goods were the goods. mmhmm, this is what i look for at every gas station on every road trip.
  • if i could handle all of the following courses, my proverbial last meal would surely consist of these extremely health-ridden dishes: pinto beans and cornbread with chow chow, fried potatoes, macaroni and tomatoes, and blackberry cobbler. yummo!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How is this the lamest? If anything it's the most interesting...

:D